Current WAC Programs
- One or two Conferences held each year at locations throughout the state. Each conference includes concerts of members' works, workshops on music-related topics, and a membership meeting. Concerts are frequently recorded for later broadcast on Wisconsin Public Radio.
- A quarterly Newsletter which features articles, new music calendar listings and updates on members' activities.
- The WAC web site, providing an up-to-the-minute event calendar, member information, composer opportunity listings, and more.
- The wiscomposers
e-mail list, for concert announcements, opportunity alerts,
and communication among composers and new-music enthusiasts.
- An annual Student Composition Contest which recognizes an outstanding composition by a Wisconsin student with a cash award and a performance at a WAC conference.
- The Ear and Now Concert, a program of works by students and young composers held each spring at Canterbury Booksellers in Madison.
- Workshops on topics of interest to WAC members.
- The Wisconsin Composer's Archive containing scores and performance information for works by WAC Composers that are available for performance.
- The WAC Catalog of Compositions listing members' works available for performance as well as contact information for all of our composer members for the commissioning of new works. Our first WAC Catalog, published in 1986, was mailed to more than 850 potential users of new music throughout the state. Our second edition of the WAC Catalog, published in 1989, was mailed to more than 1000 potential new music users in the state.
- The WAC Commissioning Assistance Service, which assists performers and directors in the process of commissioning new music by Wisconsin composers. WAC can assist in all stages of the commissioning process including the selection of composers, working out commissioning agreements, funding sources and residencies.
Planned WAC Programs
- A WAC Facsimile Publishing Series for the music of WAC composers.
- A WAC Recording Series for the music of WAC composers.
- A WAC Performance Ensemble to tour Wisconsin and the surrounding states presenting performances of and workshops on music by WAC composers.
Current MadWAC Programs
- The MadWAC commissions concert series presents newly-commissioned pieces by MadWAC composers performed by professional musicians at prominent Madison venues. The commissioned composers are selected randomly (yes, we draw names out of a hat) or by jury.
- The First-Come, First-Served concert series features occasional concerts with music by members who can get their submissions ready the fastest!
- The Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra Commission presents a new work each year by a MadWAC composer commissioned jointly by the Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra and MadWAC.
- Occasional Workshops are offered on topics of interest to composers. Past workshops have included writing for film and television and composing for carillon.
[WAC Main Page]
Copyright © 1998-2000 Wisconsin Alliance for Composers. All rights reserved.
Last updated 23 January 2000. Contact information.